The SVC4QoE project aims at answering a dual request of the Video Broadcasting Operators :
- Lower the broadcast costs (CAPEX and OPEX),
- Improve the end user Quality of Experience.
The proposed answer to this dual request is the combined use of both Scalable encoding (SVC) and automatic QoE measurement.
Video delivery today
- The same content is delivered:
- On different networks (Terrestrial, Satellite, Cable, ADSL, WiFi, 3G, …)
- Towards different User Terminals (TV sets, PC, Tablet PC, Smartphone,…)
- With different resolutions (HD TV, SD TV, CIF, QCIF, …)
- Suffering more or less from various transmission impairments (erroneous data or loss of data)
What is the major consequence ?
- Video is encoded separately as many times as:
- Terminal families
- Leading to a bad optimization of bandwidth resources
- Ex: Simulcast of SD and HD programs in DVB-T networks
- SVC4QoE distributes efficiently several quality levels of the same content by using Scalable Video Coding
- The original video sequence is encoded into several hierarchical layers which can be protected independently
- The combination of these layers allows to build several streams targeting different resolutions (CIF, QCIF, SD, HD)
- SVC4QoE makes use of Quality of Experience techniques to select the best quality to be displayed by the terminal
First, the project has the objective to define the architecture of the broadcast networks which will combine SVC and QoE technologies.
More specifically, the following points are addressed:
- Definition of the SVC layers to be used,
- Definition of new audiovisual quality measurement methods,
- Transmission parameters (how to multiplex SVC layers, modulation, FEC,...),
- Constraints of the SVC/QoE association on terminals.
The SVC4QoE project is also aiming at actually showing by means of a demonstrator the interest of the combination of the two technologies in a mobility context, on a DVB-T2 network. In case of a degradation of receiving conditions, in order to avoid a full loss of picture, a QoE probe embedded in the terminal will decide whether to display the data of the SVC enhancement layer in addition to those of the base layer which are transmitted in a more robust way.